- NABA National Butterfly count.
- Except for bluebirds, bird breeding and nesting season ends this month.
- Mississippi Kites begin fledging their young.
- Mallards and Wood Ducks molt into their "eclipse" plumage and are unable to fly for several weeks.
- Watch local ponds for immature herons and bitterns.
- Fall shorebird migration begins this month.
- Blackbirds begin to flock and appear at feeders.
- First brood of immature hummingbirds begin to show up at nectar feeders early in the month.
- Hummingbirds begin staging south and start showing up more at feeders.
- Keep your feeders and bird baths clean and your seed fresh through hot months.
- Barn Swallow fall migration begins.
- Delta Aquarids Meteor shower peaks in late-July.
American Wood Duck in Eclipse Plumage Mallard (Drake) in Eclipse Plumage