- Cedar Waxwings arrive.
- Look for scarce Rufous Hummingbirds to arrive throughout the region.
- Wintering sparrows, towhees and juncos arrive late in the month - they all love millet in a ground feeder.
- It's a good time to install bluebird winter roost boxes.
- American Goldfinches start to return this month in coastal South Carolina in nonbreeding plumage.
- First Lapland Longspurs arrive for the winter (scarce in South Carolina).
- Monarch migration reaches its peak late in month, sometimes in uncountable numbers.
- Waterfowl migration continues to build; lots of geese can be seen passing over at the end of the month.
- Bald Eagle nest building and maintenance begins.
- Great Horned Owl males begin hooting in nesting territory.
- Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers arrive.
- Sedge Wrens arrive in mid-October.
- Peak fall migration for American Robins.
- Orionids meteor shower is late-October.
American Goldfinches (Spinus tristis) in winter plumage